Internalizing the Critical Parent
When we have a parent or caregiver that’s overly critical of us, we can internalize these messages into adulthood and do it to ourselves.
Instead of judging ourselves for being judgmental, we can use the tool of mindfulness to notice how this impacts us, where it comes from and be curious so that we can begin the process of increasing self-compassion.
1. We strive to be perfect
2. We criticize ourselves constantly no matter what we do or say
3. We frequently judge others
4. We perceive our vulnerability as a sign of weakness
5. We avoid doing things we may fail at
6. We are overly sensitive to the criticisms of others
7. We constantly question our decisions
8. We have a difficult time accepting compliments