Navigating Holiday Family Drama
Responding to Drama, Not Reacting
To reduce family/friend drama sometimes we need to prep a little in advance.
With so many expectations of what the holidays are supposed to look like and the subsequent stress that this can bring, making sure that we’re clear on our boundaries and operating at our best can be especially critical.
Expectations of what the holidays are suppose to be increases the likelihood of drama with family and friends.
Tips to Respond to Family Drama:
1. Acknowledge any family conflict and estrangement that already exists.
2. Pre-plan an exit strategy if things get out of hand or become too toxic.
3. Set and maintain appropriate boundaries.
4. Prioritize self-care so that we can be operating at our best when facing drama.
5. Update our social contracts and expectations with others in advance.
Leave a Reply.