Codependency is when we live our lives through over-identifying with others feelings, beliefs, and needs to the point where we lose our sense of self.
Being able to identify it in ourselves is the first step to change.
Common Characteristics of Codependency:
1. We want to please others so much that we're better at determining someone else's needs more than our own.
2. We automatically share the same thoughts, feelings and beliefs of the other without actually knowing where we stand.
3. We feel a sense of love, validation and approval primarily through abandoning ourselves for another.
4. Our identity is rooted in the responses from others not in our authentic self.
5. Due to chronic self-neglect we don't have healthy boundaries that enables us to have real intimacy.
Ultimately, codependency is consistently caring for others at our own expense.